Thursday, January 04, 2007

How do you help someone who is hurting?

I think people don't know what to do. I know I wouldn't have known what to say or do before we dealt with this. I will say this, there is very little that you can say to comfort someone. Often people say things with the best of intentions. It is not comforting to hear that God needed Keith. It is not comforting to hear that this is God's plan. It is not comforting to hear that I'm going through this so I can help someone down the road.

When Keith was diagnosed with cancer in 2004, I taught a lesson on this very subject. I obviously studied the book of Job when I was preparing my lesson. I looked at how his friends responded to Job. When they first arrived, they sat on the ground with him. They didn't say a word for 7 days. It was their presence that was a comfort to Job, not their words.

The following is a journal entry that I wrote in November of 2004:
"Whenever I talk about Keith, people are always so positive. It is almost as if they minimize what we are dealing with. I walk away from those conversations feeling like I am making a big deal out of nothing. Like I'm all stressed and concerned over something that is not a big deal.

I was talking to a friend on the phone the other day, and she made it clear that it is a big deal. She said that it really stinks that we are having to go through this. Though I wouldn't want to dwell on how terrible this is all the time, sometimes you can't help but think about it. I feel like I have recognized those feelings and now I can move on."

This week I have cried a lot. I have taken time to remember the old Keith. I read through old letters. I even watched our wedding video. Though this week has been hard, it has been so good for me. The weeks following Keith's death have been so busy. It is crazy how many things must be done when someone dies. I've gone to three separate banks, talked to social security on several occasions, sorted through Keith's things, worked on the house, the list could go on and on. Though I have managed to get several things done around the house this week (thanks to some great friends), the best thing has been the time that I have spent alone. I know that I can't do this forever, but I don't feel that it is asking too much to have this week to focus on my grief.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
I don't want to pretend to imagine what you are going through. All I want you to know is you are being prayed for. You are truly amazing and allowing yourself to have some time to grieve is really a beautiful thing. I have no doubt it will not make the pain go away, I'm not sure anything can take that away...but realizing your emotions are legitimate and warranted is good...at least that is my opinion...

Praying in Tennessee...
Tamara Cosby

Anonymous said...

I remember after our miscarriage a few years ago (though totally not the same as what you're going through) my greatest ally was a friend who had lost her 9-year old son. Basically because she was willing to sit there, confirm that it was really hard to understand why, and not rationalize away what happened. I got so tired of people trying to explain to me why I wasn't allowed to carry our child, knowing in my heart they meant well, but wanting to say, you have no idea what my grief is so please don't try to explain it to me. You are in my prayers, as well as everyone that is coming across your path, that God will speak to their hearts and give them the words and the presence that will comfort you, not cause more pain. I'm so sorry that you are having to endure this in life. Know that so many of our hearts continue to ache with you. And our prayers continue to be with you.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

Like others I dont know the feeling of losing a spouse. But when I had my accident back in 96 that left me paralyzed.. I got alot of the same thing... All things happen for a reason, God has a plan.. etc. But that just made it worse. So you mean God threw me off that cliff to fall 85ft to serve a purpose? It took me about 2 yrs to realize his only plan was to save my life.. and let me recoup to the best of my abilities. Dont be afraid of any anger you might have.. let it out and you'll work thru it. Keith was a great guy and will be missed by many... not as much by you. All you can do is try to begin to pick up the pieces and move on with your life and raise Lincoln the way you would know Keith would want him raised. Rememeber.. just because you are moving on doesnt mean you forget.

Praying for peace and comfort

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, My name is Linda, my dear friend Siri (Drew Livengood's mom) told me about you and your family. I too lost my husband to cancer at an early age. I was 30 and my son was 5. That was 13 years ago. I wish that I could tell you that you will wake up one day and all will be fine. It's not, it took me a very long time to deal with loosing Eddie. I still love and miss him, but my thoughts of him are happy memories and my mind does'nt see the sick man that he became anymore. I understand your thoughts about peoples comments, and as you say you just have to know that they mean well. No, I don't think God needs anything, some of us are just here longer than others. Time does heal but that is of little comfort to you right now. I have been praying for you for some time. I'm more than will to listen or talk if you would like, just let me know. Just don't try to rush through the healing process, it is different for each person. And God is good and loving, continue to lean on Him and your Christian family.
In Christ,
Linda Ford

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts remind me a great deal of this passage from A Grief Observed:

"Kind people have said to me, 'She is with God.'". . . "Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand."

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
Though I don't know you well I feel as if I do through your blog. This post really touched me because it is so honest and true.

One of our twin daughters had some pretty serious medical problems and stopped breathing. She was resusitated and is fine now but we did feel as if some of the comments we got minimized what we were going through.

We also heard the "If God chooses to take her it is in His plan". Not exactly what a mom needs to hear at that time of great worry and stress. In fact it still makes me cry just thinking about all that little baby went through, though I praise God daily for how well she is doing now!

Thank you for your candor and the amazing way you are giving people insight into what is helpful and what isn't when comforting someone who is greiving.

We are still praying for you and Lincoln daily.

God bless you-
Jennifer