Monday, January 15, 2007

Over the past few months, I have noticed that people are a little uncomfortable when they are around me. I have probably made it worse by what I said in a few of my entries. I didn't write what I did to make you feel bad or to make you worry about what you should say. I'm just trying my best to share my feelings and emotions during this time of sorrow. The only way that I can make sense out of this is to use this as a teaching experience. It is my hope that what I share will help you to minister to someone down the road.

Right now I'm struggling with my identity. For four and a half years I was Keith's wife. Before that, I was Keith's girlfriend. Keith has been part of my life for six years. It is hard to know where to go from here. It is hard to know who to be. Keith was always more outgoing than me. It is so hard to face the fact that I'm alone again. It is hard to know that I will have to walk into places like bible class and other activities where children aren't around without him. So many things are different.

When I'm talking to someone and I sense that they are uncomfortable, I often wish that I could do something to ease his/her discomfort. The truth is that I just don't have the energy. Please know that I'm doing my best. It's hard to know what to talk about. Unfortunately, much of my life revolves around Keith's death these days. Either I'm taking care of some business matter or I'm working on the house that I have to sell because Keith died. I just don't think many people want to hear about how I sorted through Keith's things or talked to a lawyer or sat and cried over old letters that Keith wrote. So many times I am silent.

It is also hard to see life moving on. When Keith was diagnosed with cancer the first time, I remember thinking that everything should stop. Though our life was forever shattered, everyone else went along with their business. People went to work. People went to the grocery store. Life went on. I have a hard time thinking about moving and going back to work. I have a hard time thinking about going on without Keith. I know that I must, but it is one of the most difficult experiences that I have endured.

I ask that you pray for Keith's family. It is so easy for me to get wrapped up in my own grief. They are missing him too! I also ask that you pray for my relationship with them. They have all been so good to Lincoln and me. I'm not complaining at all, but Keith was always my link to them. Now that link is missing, and we are having to learn how to close the gap. The fact that they are so far away makes it hard, but my prayer is that our relationship will be strengthened and that they will play an active role in our lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From someone who has NO idea what you are feeling day to day, let me say I would welcome your talking about your daily doings...things like that need to be shared if that is what you are thinking about. I know I would be a willing ear and if you need/want to open that door, I am always available...you can email me to get phone number or whatever...I know this might not be what you are wanting...but I want you to know I can listen without talking...anyway...still praying for you.
Tam

Anonymous said...

I welcome your thoughts, and openness about your struggles as I have always been uncertain how to act or of what to say when I encounter someone grieving. Your suggestions are a tremendous help. We are continuing to pray for God's guidance for you during this time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie,
Please try and not worry about others feeling uncomfortable. They are not uncomfortable with you personally. It's death they are uncomfortable with. All of us to a certain extent are uncomfortable with what we have no control over. Yes we know about trusting in God, and how our faith takes us through places we do not want to go. We know these things in our hearts but yet the human side of us really does not want to look at death and the hurt in brings our loved ones. I can tell that you have a lot of friends who love you and care about you and Lincoln and what you are going through emotionally right now.
Their desire is to encourage you and to help you find a way to go on.
Yes, your life has changed and that's a fact..nothing will ever be the exact same again. However, You are still a part of Keith's family because you entered it through him and you are the mother of their grandchild that is a part of their son,Keith. I'd say you have a great identity. Plus you are a child of the King which makes you a Princess.Nothing can be better than that!
I love you and truly understand what you are feeling as I have been there myself.
Love and prayers,
Martha

Anonymous said...

I love reading your thoughts and feelings. Not only is it a ministering tool for you and others, it helps you sort through your emotions. I love reading them because it helps me to understand what someone who is grieving is feeling. I may never feel comfortable trying to comfort someone who is grieving, but now I at least feel somewhat equipped. As Martha said, people are uncomfortable with death, not you. And you are Stephanie, Lincolns mommy. More than likely as he grows and gained friends that is what you will be called! :)
I am sure that things will work out with Keith's parents. They love you and Lincoln and somehow God will close that gap and make the situation work for both of you. You are in my prayers as you sort out these things!