Monday, May 21, 2007

It's been a few days since I've written a "serious" post. Often I find myself composing a blog entry in my head before I actually sit down at the computer. There have been several things floating around lately.

I was surprised that Lincoln's birthday didn't make me sad. Maybe it was the fact that we didn't celebrate at home. Maybe it was the fact that we celebrated a few days early. I really thought it would bother me more that Keith wasn't there to celebrate with us. In all honesty, I didn't even think about the fact that he wasn't there when we celebrated. This leads me to the second topic.

Grief is so unpredictable. Things that I think should bother me - don't. Things that I never thought would bother me - do. It's crazy! I find that I am often hard on myself about this. It's also hard not to compare my grief journey to others who are traveling down the same path. I've been in touch with a few widows. Some are barely functioning. On the young widows website, many people talk about how they cry all the time or sleep all the time. I don't do either of those things. I know I shouldn't do this, but I find myself questioning my love for Keith. Does the fact that I'm not completely devastated mean that I didn't love him as much as some other widow loved her husband? The truth is that there are so many factors that come into play, and grief is different for everyone. My head knows this. Now if only my heart would catch on.

4 comments:

Debby McCrary said...

Stephanie,
I love to read your heart notes. Grief is unpredictable.
Friday evening I was laughing uncontrollably at my sons humor then instantly crying because my nephew is no longer here to make us laugh. Did that mean that I love Adam's humor more than Alex?
Comparing grief response is a burden that we can place on ourselves. Anyone that has read your comments KNOWS that your love for Keith is REAL and CONSTANT.
You are a testament to sharing your truth with a faith that reflects God's love and support.

With love and prayers.
Debby McCrary

Sandi said...

Stephanie,

I agree with Debby. Your love for Keith is obvious through your writing. And your grief is YOUR grief -- it doesn't have to look like anyone else's. I would venture to say that Keith would be happy that you were able to celebrate Lincoln's birthday without feeling sad. That's not to say that it would have been bad if you had -- like you said, grief is totally unpredictable.

You are such a strong woman -- I admire very much your faith and honesty.

Jordan said...

Steph,
I would say that you don't do anything like anybody else.:) Why should your grief be any different? You are a testament of faith and strength.
Jordan

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie,
I read your heart today.I say "your heart" because I feel it. You know grief is one of those emotions that isn't a tangible. It's not something we can put in a display case and make a model of.....there's no instructions included no ABC 123 to it. It's big. But so is love.Your love for Keith is bigger than you are,larger than life and it never fades away. You love Keith now and you loved him before now and you will ALWAYS love him .........no matter what. Nothing will ever change that. He would no doubt be so happy for you to go on with your life with Lincoln and live it to the fullest.
You are a brave woman. Your courage is admirable and it does take courage to be where you are today. God will grant you whatever you need. We serve a
living God and nothing is too big for him. With God nothing is impossible! And you are living proof of that.
God Bless you and your litle son!
Love always,
Martha