Friday, November 23, 2007

I haven't been the best "blog updater" lately. There are two reasons for that. One is that I still don't have an internet connection. (I don't have cable yet either. I know that may seem crazy. It just hasn't been a priority.) The second reason is that this is the most dreaded time of the year for me.

Thanksgiving Day was one of the worst days of my life last year. If I were to rank my most horrible days, #1 would be the day we found out the cancer was back and #2 would be Thanksgiving Day. It was on Thanksgiving Day last year that the hospice nurse told me that he didn't have much longer to live. It was on Thanksgiving Day that I had to call Keith's parents and Keith's brother and tell them it was time for them to come and say goodbye to Keith.

I managed to survive yesterday. At first, I thought I wanted to just take Lincoln and escape. I thought about going to Galveston or visiting friends. Ultimately, I decided to just stay home. I guess a part of me thought that if we got away, that I could somehow escape the sadness associated with this time of year. I will be the first to admit that it is so very tempting to want to "escape." As tempting as that is, I also know that all of these emotions must be dealt with at some point in time. If I put if off, I will just have to deal with it at a later time.

It will have been a year since Keith passed away next Saturday. I'm not really sure what next week will be like. Luckily, I have to go to work. (As a teacher, you are so busy at school that you really don't have much time to think about anything else.) In a way, I think that yesterday may have been the more difficult day. Keith was so uncomfortable in the end that his passing was actually a blessing. Through all of this, I have learned that emotions are unpredictable, so I won't really know how hard next Saturday will be until it's next Saturday.

11 comments:

Kathy aka Pie said...

I'm not a blog stalker, I learned about you from my sister-n-law, Debbie McCrary (Myra's mom). I've been "with" you since the cancer came back. Each time you post I admire your strength & you honesty. I will not even begin to pretend I know what you are going through. Guess I wanted to let you know that even a year later there is still someone thinking & praying for you. Lincoln is a blessed to have such a wonderful mother. Thank you for letting me in your part of the world.
hugs, Kathy Laird

Sandi said...

Stephanie, my heart hurts with you. You were brave to stay home and to face the emotions. May God fill you with His peace that is beyond understanding this week. Count me as another who is thinking and praying for you.

Molly said...

Steph, I think I have written you once before--Keith and I were good friends at Harding, and Emily and I grew up together. I think of you often, since Keith and my best friend Kate died within a week of each other last year. My prayers are with you at this difficult anniversary.

Stacy said...

Stephanie,I think of you often and continue to follow your blog.When you write about your feelings and your how you are dealing with your "new normal life" it is as if I wrote it myself.Thanksgiving Day was one of the most horrible days of my life too.My Michael Was in the hospital,weighing only 90LBS.and they told me their was nothing else they could do for him.I also had to tell his family it was going to be soon.He passed away Jan.6,2007.Doesn't it seem like yesterday?How can it almost be a year.But on the other hand it seems as if I have been alone for so long.I pray that God will continue to be with you during next week.Your Strength is an inspiration to me.If you ever need to talk, E-mail me or call.My thought and prayers are with you this week.Stacy W.

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie,
From my experience I can tell you that thanksgivibg day will be the worse of the two days mentioned. There is something so final about being told that's all that can be done and the dreaded thing you hear is it will be soon. I'm sorry you have had to deal with all this.........just know you have so many friends that are supportive and who are praying for you includin all of us who you only know through your blog. We all love you and are continuing to pray for you and Lincoln.
May God grant you peace and comfort through out thses holidays. Take comfort also in knowing we are here for youand you are not alone.

Your friend and you big sister in Christ,
Martha

Kathryn said...

Stephanie - I've been following your blog, too, and have been thinking about you and Lincoln as the holidays approached. Your honesty and faith amaze me. Prayers continuing to come your way!

Anonymous said...

I am keeping you in my prayers this week.

myra said...

Stephanie,

I don't have any words that seem to express how I feel for you right now but know that I am continuing for you this week and in the weeks to come.

I'm so sorry you have to feel this sadness.

Your friend,
myra

Anonymous said...

Very mature way to handle things... your faith and courage continue to amaze me. We will be remembering you this week and in the weeks to come.

Rebekah @ reclaimed riches said...

Just wanted you to know that we think about you often and are praying for God to give you joy and peace as you approach this really hard day. Lots of Love,
Rebekah

Ron Peron said...

Steph,
I'm praying for you regularly and especially so today.
Father, please give Stephanie a deep sense of Your comforting presence today and continue to use her faithfulness to magnify Your Glory. Amen.