Making a House a Home
My goal for this summer is to work on making our house a home. This may mean nothing to some of you. Others of you know exactly what I'm talking about. A home is a place where you are surrounded by things that you love and cherish. When we first moved in, my dad helped me hang things in the living room, kitchen, and in Lincoln's room. That's pretty much the extent of my decorating. While I love to decorate, I didn't want to invest time and money into things that may or may not work in another house. This is a legitimate concern since we are renters.
While I know it's not the money wise decision, after lots and lots of thought (this issue comes up everytime I have to sign my lease), I've come to the conclusion that I have no desire to buy a house. For some crazy reason, buying a house symbolizes me giving up on ever meeting someone. Maybe that sounds crazy. I guess you could say that it's a "heart issue." My head knows that houses can always be sold. . . even if it is a huge pain. My heart just isn't ready to make that step.
Soooo, since we will be here another year, I've decided to work on making this "our house."

The first change took place on the patio. Lincoln loves to eat outside. While this table is just his size, it's not exactly comfortable for me. We traded this for. . .
THIS! We have eaten many a meal outside on our new table. The best part is that my kitchen floors have a few less crumbs. : )This week I started working on the playroom. It's not all fun and games because I've decided to work on organizing along the way. We moved into the house during the school year, so I just stashed stuff wherever it would fit. So far I've organized the closet that now houses all the school stuff that I don't have room to store in my new classroom. I'm also working on a really cute craft project. I'll have to post a picture when it's complete.

4 comments:
I understand exactly what you are saying. Buying a house sounds permanent, and you don't want your life as it is now, to be permanent. But, just because you are renting doesn't mean you can't put down roots---they just won't go as deep! I look forward to seeing the pictures of your home.
L.
kudos to you for being honest with everyone, mostly with yourself.
i encourage you to check out this blog: http://sarahschieber.blogspot.com/
sarah is a friend of the family and has been through some of the same things you have ... and she's now on the other side. there is hope.
nicole
vancouver, wa
I love the table and chairs. I've been looking for something similar. Where did you find it??? Have fun this summer.
We got the table and chairs at Home Depot.
Post a Comment