5 Years
This December marked five years since Keith passed away. It's crazy how that can seem so far away in one sense, and in another sense, it seems like it couldn't possibly have been that long ago. While we were in Tennessee, I went to visit Keith's grave. It was my first time to be back since we buried him. It may seem strange that I haven't been sooner. It's not that I don't think of him or miss him. I just know that he's not there. I can talk to him or think about him anywhere. I don't need to be at the cemetary to do those things.
As I was driving up, I couldn't help but remember riding in the car behind the hearse. That is one of those memories that will be forever etched in my mind. I remember fighting so hard to keep my composure, but on the inside, I was falling apart. Once I was there, I couldn't help but remember the moment when they started putting dirt on Keith's grave at the end of the service. I'm not sure why that bothered me so much, but it did. I remember telling my parents that I needed to get out of there. I remember sitting in the car waiting for other cars to exit, so that we could leave the cemetary and go pick up my precious six month old little baby.
As I sat at Keith's grave, I cried. I cried more that I have cried in a long, long time. I cried for the pain he endured. I cried for the times that I have missed his encouraging words or gentle touch. I cried for the family of three that is now a family of two. I cried for all the moments that he has missed with Lincoln. After I regained my composure and blew my nose (blowing your nose while wearing gloves is no easy task by the way), I went around and took some pictures. I know that at some point Lincoln will start asking questions. Since we don't live near the graveyard, I wanted to have a few pictures on hand to show him.
As sad as this moment was, I will say that as the five year mark rolled around, I was struck with gratefulness at how far God has taken me on this journey. God has brought a wonderful, Christian man into our lives. It seems a little odd to be sharing it in this post, but he is a piece of our story at this point in time. After losing Keith, I prayed that God would bring us a man who could allow us to love him along with loving Keith. While our relationship is just beginning (we've been dating for about 5 months), I've been amazed at the support and encouragement that he has provided.

13 comments:
Oh how we love you sweet Stephanie! I am glad you shared this story & happy that God has brought you to this point! We miss seeing you & every time I drive to see my Grandmother I think of Keith & his family. Many hugs & yea for your "silver lining!" Holly Grubbs
Love.
Stephanie it is so good to hear how you and Lincoln are doing!! You are one of the strongest women I know!! Thank you for setting such a wonderful Christian example for all you come into contact with!!
I am excited to hear about your adventures in 2012!!!!
My sweet friend. How I dearly miss and live you. So joyful that God has brought this man into your life, yet even more happy at how He has been your Sustainer and Comforter through the years. Love you my sweet sweet sister.Marie Webb
My dearest Stephanie, I want you to know that I know exactly how you feel. I miss your Grandpa too and I will never forget him. I think he would be happy to know that I also have a friend who keeps me company. We go a lot of places and eat out a lot. I am also happy to hear that you now have someone to love you and Lincoln. I hear that he also has a son...how wonderful for Lincoln. I wish you the very best in life. I'll be anxious to hear more about him. I love you all so much.
love, Grandma Harshaw
So very happy for you, Stephanie!! Praying God blesses you & Lincoln greatly in 2012! ~Shelly George
I've been thinking about you lots lately Stephanie. I'm so happy to hear how God is leading you on your journey and bringing you blessings along the way. You deserve so much joy and happiness.
I've been thinking about you! Glad to know things are going well. Praying 2012 is full of joy and peace!
The five year mark is a difficult one, I think. Like you said, it seems like forever and just yesterday at the same time, but more than that, the reality of how far you have come seems more apparent. And that makes you sad, yet grateful at the same time. Maybe its just because we are trained to think in terms of 5's and 10's, but it is certainly a momentous anniversary.
I havent checked your blog in a while, but I'm glad I did today. I'm happy for your new relationship, I'll pray it continues to progress as you wish. May your heart fill with happiness in this new year.
L.
Stephanie, I found your blog through a friend, and have been keeping up with you'll I guess since shortly after your husband passed away. Lincoln is such a precious little boy and I am so glad to hear you have someone special in your life. You are so young and full of life yourself and your husband Keith would want this for you and Lincoln. I look forward to reading more in 2012. Have a wonderful year. A friend in East Texas, Pam.
Hey Stephanie,
I write to you with tears of joy running down my face. I am so happy to hear of how God has blessed you. I think of you and Lincoln often. I log in to your blog just to see how things have been going.
Ben actually referenced Keith and his faithful walk to the end, just the other day in a sermon here at Crosspoint, Greenville.
I think of you as an amazing Godly mother and woman.
Hang in there! I will continue to pray for you.
Sheila
I still think of you guys and read your blog. I still remember Keith and I see so much of him in the pictures of Lincoln! I think, of my goodness, there is that smile and blonde hair. I'm so happy for you and this blessed opportunity to love again.
Sincerely, Ginger Kirkland
Stephanie,
So glad i didn't waste time putting on makeup this morning! What a sweet post to honor Keith. Wish I would have known him. My heart is with you as you continue to find strength in Christ through your journey. Cant wait to see the path that you have yet to walk. You are a great mom. Lincoln is adorable and is blessed to have a big family that loves him.
Your new friend, Josey Reynolds
Post a Comment