Thursday, November 30, 2006

Keith slept almost the whole day yesterday. He rarely talks. When he does it usually doesn't make sense or it is a mumble. He has trouble swallowing water. He gets really choked up when he swallows, so we switched to liquid pain medicine last night. We are doing our best to keep him comfortable.

There was one bright moment in the day yesterday. Keith held his arms out and told me to "come here." He gave me a great big hug. For that one moment, "my Keith" was with me. I will treasure that memory the rest of my days.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie. I don't know if you remember me but I am Aunt Linda's Niece Dawn. My family and I spent Thanksgiving with Aunt Linda this year and she told me about Keith and showed me your blog. On our drive back to Oregon I cried several times for you. I know that seems odd because I didn't know Keith or you really. I do know what it like to lose a loved one to cancer. I wanted to offer you some words of comfort. From what I have read and heard, God has given you amazing strength. I wish that I could wrap my arms around you and tell you that you will be okay. Most days you will be. On the days that you're not and you would just like to cry, talk or pray, I would love to hear from you. We serve an amazing God. I could quote you scriptures that you have probably already cited hundreds of times, but someone once said to me Life Is Short, Eternity Isn't. It was though God had hit me with a baseball bat. The time we spend together here is only a moment compared to the time we will have together in heaven. That quote has given me strength and clarity many times in my life. Know that I will be praying for you and your family. I will especially pray that God will show you the path that you are to take now and peace for Keith. I teach a class at my Church on Wednesday nights and all twentyfive gilrs will be praying for Lincoln on Wednesdays. Love Dawn

Shae and Sissy said...

Oh Stephanie, my heart breaks for you while at the same time thanking Jesus for that lucid moment Keith had yesterday. I know you will treasure it always no matter the outcome. Still believing and praying...

PiperMatt said...

Steph,

I heard this song today and instantly thought of you. I wanted to share it with you in case you hadn't heard it.

It's called Homesick by MercyMe.

Here are the lyrics and the story behind it.

Know that we're praying and aching with you and for you.

PiperMatt said...

Wow... I just learned that MercyMe is from none other than Greenville, TX. Small world. :)

Marie said...

We don't know each other but I wish I could just hug you and pray with you. Know that my family is praying for you Keith and Lincoln. We ache for you all..

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie. I'm Katie, the sister of Chris and the sister-in-law of Cat, they went to Harding with Keith. My thoughts and prayers go to you and Keith and your family and friends. I am very touched by your strength and openness about this unimaginable period of your life. Thank you for sharing your inspiring faith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie. I am a Harding grad and I just received word to pray for you and your family. May God wrap His loving arms around you.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie--my heart and my prayers go out to you. Many of us at Prestoncrest are keeping you close in our thoughts at this time.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you both! We love you and pray for God's peace and comfort to be upon you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie. I used to go to church at Prestoncrest and remember you and Keith. I am so sorry to hear about his cancer. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Steph.,
I know many people are encouraging you with songs, poetry, and stories...But what I leave with you is a scripture you once quoted to me in a card a few years back...."Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27
You gave this to me and it meant, so much at the time. I know the heart that the heart that was aching then, does NOT even come close to yours......However, I want you to take those words and hold them dear to your heart & BELIEVE......
Your friend,

Suzanne Fields
Love ya

Anonymous said...

Steph.,
I know many people are encouraging you with songs, poetry, and stories...But what I leave with you is a scripture you once quoted to me in a card a few years back...."Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27
You gave this to me and it meant, so much at the time. I know the heart that the heart that was aching then, does NOT even come close to yours......However, I want you to take those words and hold them dear to your heart & BELIEVE......
Your friend,

Suzanne Fields
Love ya

Unknown said...

stephanie-
greg & i, as well as our church, are praying for you and your family. we pray that the peace of God will be wrapped around you, and that you will find comfort in Him.
tracey fields
westminster presbyterian church

Anonymous said...

Stephanie & Keith,
You are such an inspiration...we are praying for you all day everyday!
Love,
Tamara & Jesse Cosby

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
We are sending our love. IN DROVES!
Love,
Tam & Jesse