Tuesday, November 14, 2006

We didn't get good news today. The tumor in Keith's spleen grew quite a bit. Some of the other tumors grew as well. We are not going to continue with the chemo. Keith's oncologist is going to do some research and see if there are any clinical trials that Keith would qualify for.

Keith is having a hard time with the news. He told me tonight that the worst part of all this isn't that he has to suffer. He said he would be glad to suffer. The worst part for him is watching the people who love him suffer.

I'm having a hard time too. I wanted to hear good news today. I know that so many people are praying for Keith's healing. I know that God has the power to heal Keith. I just don't understand why God isn't answering our prayers.

6 comments:

Sign2Jill said...

I feel like I should say something great and inspiring....but my mind is drawing a blank. What a shocking piece of news for you guys. Our small group will just have to fall to our knees and lift you up in prayer.

Jill "Johnston" Young

2 Corinthians. 4:16-18--Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

erinlo said...

I wish God would answer, too. I have been following Keith's story for a while. And praying every time I read. My heart is aching and I, like Jill, wish I had something awe-inspiring to say. There are no words. Just know that you are thought of and prayed for often- all three of you.

Greg Brooks said...

I'm so sorry about the disappointing news you got. I know I hardly ever comment, but I read the blog every day and pray for you all every day. I will continue to do so, and to add your names to all the prayer lists I come across.

Greg Brooks

Anonymous said...

I have very fond memories of Keith in the Student Center just hanging out and chatting with a spades game somehow involved. It was always a day brightener to walk over to the Regina/Chi Sig area and see his beaming smile.

I read the blog every day. After reading, I always lift up a prayer for Keith's strength and healing, for Stephanie's courage and astonishing strength and for little Lincoln. I don't think there is anything deep that could be said. I hope that you can take comfort in the prayers that are being offered of your friends and family. I think the verse that Jill posted fits very well.

Keep your eyes on God.
Amy "Lu" Lucas (now Stewart)
Jeremiah 29:11-13

Anonymous said...

God has a plan and that is all I know. I don't know the plan and neither does anyone else. It will be revealed to us in time and for now we have to find a way to have a little bit of peace. Our prayers will continue to be the same for God's will to be done and for him to keep his arms around each of you and give you the peace only he can provide.
Below I pasted an email from a guy in our bible class who has gone through some very similiar times lately. He expresses his willingness to talk if you would like. Let me know if this interests you (sarah.bigelow@yahoo.com). Sometimes it helps to talk to people in the same situations. Rick is a very godly man with a wonderful heart. Here is his email:

Dear Bigelow family,

As I read your request for prayers for Keith and Stephanie, it seemed like I was reading an account of my own family’s situation regarding the struggles that we have encountered during the last several years. The fact that Keith has stated that he is “tired” of feeling bad is a very familiar feeling and until recently I felt this way all the time. My wife and I will pray for this family as we have prayed for each other and please let them know that we are willing to talk, anytime, even though we don’t know them at all.

Please remind them that our Father is always with us and His will, though sometimes hard to understand, is something we should accept through faith. He will provide you strength and wisdom, if you seek it with all your heart. Fight hard and rest, then fight again! Ask for prayers every chance you can and praise God for the opportunities He gives you to be a witness to others by never giving up and keeping a smile on your face. Always remember the “true life” which He has promised for us through Jesus, our Savior.

God bless you,

Rick and Renee Furr

The French Connection said...

Stephanie,
We are always thinking of you and Keith and your sweet baby, Lincoln. Keith's life and the way your family has handled this is laying the foundation for others faith and you may not even realize it. While it's not an easy journey (I've lost several family members in the last two years) someone is impacted by you faith and dignity and courage. I believe that everyone is given a mission to further the kingdom and when the seeds are planted or the work is done we get our reward. Yes, God does have the power to heal him but his work or mission for God may be the courage and faith Keith is displaying through this trial. I personally prayed for 30 years for my dad to stop drinking and make restitution with our family and God. He did, but it was not the answer I thought it would be. My dad lost his battle with cancer but not before he was fully restored, just as I prayed and he is still impacting people today. Don't loose hope. Never give up the fight. Continue to pray but know deep inside that our Father has EVERYTHING in his hands and hears your pain and your pleading. He had to allow His own son to pray and plead for the cup to pass from Him. You are loved and there are people praying everyday.