Sunday, February 25, 2007

I've been overcome with sadness this afternoon. I can't help but think about the fact that we should be celebrating Keith's birthday tomorrow. Today I should be busy making a chocolate pie. (I have to admit that I haven't perfected the skill of making a fabulous chocolate pie, but it was Keith's favorite.) Thinking of chocolate pie reminds me of the fact that my grandma made two of them for Thanksgiving this year and brought them to our house. Normally Keith would have consumed one pie by himself. Of course this year was different. Thanksgiving Day was the day when one of the nurses said Keith wouldn't be with us much longer. That is the day when I called his parents and brother to tell them that it was time to come and say goodbye. I seem to be troubled by the domino effect today. One event reminds me of another, and none of the memories are ones that I wish to dwell on.

I miss Keith. I can honestly say that I've come to accept his death. I don't expect to see him walk in the door. I don't think about setting him a place at the table or buying him something at the grocery store. Now I just miss him like you miss a friend that you haven't seen in a while. The other night he was in my dream. We were just talking. I miss that.

I've thought a bit today about how I want to treat Keith's birthday in the future. Once Lincoln is old enough to understand, I want to make it a special day. It seems silly to make a chocolate pie and cook one of Keith's favorite meals tomorrow. Someday I hope that I can do those things. I hope that we can sit and look through pictures and take time to remember a very special man.

4 comments:

Joanna Ashlock said...

Tomorrow will be a hard day, but it's not silly to cook a chocolate pie if you feel like it. And, I think making it a special day with Lincoln is a wonderful way to treasure your memories. If you feel like it, start tomorrow. Talk things over with Lincoln and show him pictures. Starting the tradition now even when Lincoln doesn't understand just means he will know it's what you've always done and it will become easier to do as he grows older.

As I will pray for you tomorrow, I will also be praying for a wife who will bury her husband, son and daughter--all killed in a car wreck in which she was driving. They were not Christians, and I can't help but contrast how you've dealt with your loss only through your faith in God, yet how much harder it must be without God. Thank you for sharing your faith through your words.

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie,
I agree with Joanna. If you feel like it........bake the pie. Not only will it be a good thing for Lincoln......it will be a sweet time for you as well. Look at pictures that are very pleasant,talk to him about special times with his dad and although Lincoln may not understand exactly what you are saying ....you do and then at the end of today.....you will be so glad you set aside this day just for a special remembrance.
Love,
Martha

Sarah B said...

Stephanie you have been on my heart and in my thoughts since I woke up very early this morning. I decided I would check in on you and see if anything new was up - not knowing today marked the day that God blessed us all with a truly incredible man. I do agree with Joanna and Martha - if today you feel up to it do something to honor the memory of Keith with Lincoln. It is true that each year it will get easier and Lincoln will come to understand even more what an awesome dad Keith was!
You are always in my prayers and I will say an extra prayer for you and Lincoln today!
We love you both!

Rebekah @ reclaimed riches said...

I want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you today. I know God is going to cover you with His love as well as memories of Keith. The Lord is your Strength. Love you,
Rebekah