I had lots of time to think last week. Lincoln and I spent around 13 hours in the car. I've always found driving to be a great time for reflection. Whether alone or with someone, you can always learn something new.
One thing I thought about was my wedding ring. I don't know what got me to thinking about my ring. I'm guessing it had something to do with the fact that it is almost April, and I've always taken my ring to be inspected in October and April. Thinking about my ring, reminded me of getting my ring inspected in October. I think Keith had a doctors appointment in the morning. After that we stopped to eat lunch at Chipotle. Then we ran to the mall and to Target. Though it sounds like an ordinary outting, it stands out in my head. It's hard to believe that he was alive just a few months ago. In some ways it seems like he has been gone for so long.
I stopped wearing my ring about a month ago. I didn't stop wearing it by choice. I started to notice that it was not fitting well. My fingers seemed to be a bit swollen, so I decided that it would be best to wear another ring on my ring finger. I think it is probably for the best. In the past I had wondered how I was going to decide when it was the right time to stop wearing my ring. I think God took care of the decision for me.
One thing that bothers me about not wearing my ring anymore is what people will think. (I know I shouldn't worry so much about what others think. It is something that I have struggled with my whole life. )When I see a woman or a man with kids, I admit that I automatically look at his/her ring finger. I realize that some people don't wear wedding rings, but for the most part people do wear rings. I hate that people will automatically assume that I'm divorced. Sometimes I wish there was a ring that I could wear to let people know that Keith and I did not chose to end our marriage. We both loved each other and were comitted to our relationship.
Sunday, March 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is going to sound a bit strange, but I think there is a way for you to wear the rings and be recognized as a widow. I really hope I'm not offending you. You should talk to your jeweler. There is a way to stack the ring(s) on your finger and it shows your "status". Much like a Claughddah ring...whether it is turned up or down.
I found this little article...
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20020011078.html
It's an interesting idea at least.
Post a Comment