Tuesday, May 08, 2007

We're coming up on the anniversary of Keith's diagnosis. I'm not sure of the exact date that we found out the cancer was back. I know it was the Friday before Mother's Day, and that is enough. Mother's Day will be forever linked with that news. There is no reason to ruin another day.

It's hard not to think back on where we were then. I was 9 months pregnant. We were eagerly awaiting little Lincoln's arrival. His room was ready. His clothes were washed. We had attended the birthing class. All we needed to do was pack our bags and put the car seat in the car. Then our world came to a screaching halt.

As I think back over this past year, I will say that I have very few regrets. I obviously wish that Keith was well and still alive, but I'm even hesitant to say that. If it meant that he would have to face cancer for a third time, I would take that wish back. Dealing with cancer once was hard. Keith even had a hard time after the treatments were completed. Everytime he would get sick or start to hurt, he couldn't help but wonder if the cancer was back. That is an awful way to live. It would be so selfish of me to wish that on him.

I don't regret any of the treatments that he did. We had to try something. He didn't just want to give up. When we found out that the treatment was not working, we stopped and did not try anything else. I'm grateful that we made that decision.

I don't regret that he went quickly. Once he found out that the cancer was not responding to treatment, things went downhill very fast. I do wish that I would have realized what was happening sooner than I did. There were so many things that I would have liked to talk to him about. The important thing is that we talked about what mattered. He knew that I loved him. I knew that he loved me.

I don't regret the times when we were on our own just the three of us. Was it hard? Yes. It is hard enough taking care of a newborn. I was faced with taking care of Lincoln and Keith. We had a lot of visitors during those six months. Though I was and am still grateful for everyone who came, I will say that I could not have handled having more company than we did. We needed that time as a family.

As I sit and think about this, I can't help but think about what I am grateful for as well. I am grateful that we were given two years after Keith's first round of cancer. That time will always be precious. We were also in a much better place financially than we were the first time. I am obviously very grateful for our sweet baby boy. I am also grateful to all our family and friends who provided us with support. Whether it be meals, gift cards, rides to the hospital, etc., you were all so good to us. There is no way that we could have done it without you. (By the way, I'm really behind on thank you notes. If you haven't received one yet, just know that we appreciated everything that you did. : ) Most importantly, I am thankful to God for seeing us through this time. Though I don't (and probably never will) understand why all of this had to happen, I know that He has never left my side.

6 comments:

Fredia said...

Stephanie,
You are an amazing young lady.

So many prayers were said and answered on your and Keith's behalf, but so many more prayers need to be prayed for you and Lincoln. Just know those prayers are being said continually.

Our prayer today is your Mother’s Day is what you need it to be. Our prayer is that your heart, as heavy as it is right now, will be lightened by Lincoln’s smile.

Our love and prayers to you both

Sandi said...

Stephanie, may our God of comfort carry you through this weekend. And may He give you peace and confidence in your role as mother. I will be praying for you.

Jennifer said...

Stephanie,

I can only imagine the pain you are going through. I just attended a funeral today for a friend that passed away from ovarian cancer. I don't know you at all but I have read your blog over the last few months and I pray for you and Lincoln often.

Jennifer

Jenni Halley said...

I've been peeking in on your blog for a few weeks now. My 34 year-old husband, Brian, has stage 4 melanoma. I came across the link to your blog from the Jennifer Ireland website. I find myself trying to understand how to cope with all this, and was drawn to your words, as you have obviously been profoundly affected by melanoma and what it can do to a young family. Just in reading your posts, I have been inspired by your strength and courage, and I am sure your husband would be very proud of how you have picked yourself up in the wake of his disease and death, and moved forward to care for your son (and you).

I will say a special prayer for you over Mother's Day weekend, both for relief from the memories that plague this time from a year ago, and for the joy that your husband helped bring into your life to make you a mother. Many blessings to you now and always.

Jenni Halley
wife of Brian, melanoma warrior
Maryville, MO

Amber Smith said...

Sweet Stephanie-
We love you and continue to keep you and Lincoln in our prayers. I really admire your honesty throughout this trial you are facing. Thank you for letting us know how to pray for you. I am hoping that this Mothers' Day brings you joy and peace. Thinking of you both...

Amber

Jordan said...

Steph,
My prayers are with you daily! I love you.
Jordan