Saturday, September 15, 2007

I've had some things on my mind lately, but I just haven't had time to post them. Since I'm up at 5:30 on a Sat. morning (UGH), I guess I will take advantage of this time to post what's been on my heart.

I'm not really sure where to start. I have a lot of thoughts jumbled in my head, and they seem pretty random. I guess I will start by saying that I've found myself wondering how much longer I have to be strong. I long for the days when life could be easy again. I know life is never easy, but I wish I could return to the days when my biggest problem was that Keith and I had a fight or that I had a challenging group of kids at school. (Okay, so those aren't the best examples, but it's the best that I can do this early.) The hard thing is that I don't see an end in sight. I know that I need to trust that God will deliver me from this mess. It's so hard to do that. I've been hurting for 15 months. It seems like forever.

I realized the other day that I don't really have dreams for the future. Of course I want Lincoln to grow up and be a strong Christian, but that is about it. I do have things that I wish or hope for. I hope that one day God will bring me a man who will be a good husband and a great fill-in dad for Lincoln. I hope that one day I would get to stay home with Lincoln again. I even hope that I could have more kiddos. For the most part my hopes and wishes stay as just that- hopes and wishes. I don't let them become dreams for fear that they will be taken away too. One day I found myself thinking, "I'm one day closer to heaven." In all honesty, that probably isn't a bad way to think. There is no doubt that we get far too wrapped up in this world. At the same time, I miss having dreams for the future. Though things never happened like I planned them in my head, it gave me something to look forward to. At this point, I feel like all I have to look forward to is more pain.

Last week I finally got up the courage to go to the young families bible class at church. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but it was a huge step for me. I haven't gone to bible class with people my age since Keith passed away. While I was in Greenville, I just skipped class alltogether. Since I've been here, I've gone with my parents. It's hard to sit in a room full of young couples. It's hard to see a husband putting his arm around his wife or a wife wispering someting to her husband. Maybe those things seem like nothing to you, but they are constant reminders of what I don't have anymore.

I've always wanted to be a mom. I was one of those girls who played with baby dolls. I loved my dolls dearly. (I can even remember their names-Alice, Catherine, Jeffery, and Nicole.) I had "baby fever" before Keith and I were even married. Though I love Lincoln, I hate the circumstances surrounding his life. There is a chance that this will be my only baby. I hate that a time that should be joyous is so full of hardship. I have really tried to enjoy Lincoln. After Keith passed away, a widow e-mailed me and said that the first two years after her husband passed away are a blur. I remember reading that and thinking I can't do that. For the most part, I haven't. I do struggle with being a little bitter. Being a single mom stinks. It is the hardest thing that I have ever done. It is harder than anything that I went through with Keith. There have been a few times when I've needed someone to watch Lincoln, and the thought ran through my mind that he is a burden. I know that sounds awful. I feel very guilty for thinking like that. There are just times when I get really overwhelmed with the fact that I'm his only parent.

I know that this has been a heavy entry. I'm not going to apologize; it's my blog afterall. I guess I just want you to know that I do experience happy moments throughout my days. If you were to look at me, you would never know that I was carrying all of this on my heart.

10 comments:

James said...

I think we have all gotten a little busy to keep up with blogging like we did, but I know that it has really helped me now that I've gotten back to writing more. Email me your new email address. I can't find it (like many other things!) Thinking of you, James

The Mounce family said...

I am praying for you. I hate that the pain continues for you. You have been such a strong person through everything.

Tamara said...

You are right, it's your blog. Let it go, let it out. SCREAM on here if you want! I pray you are able to let your thoughts become dreams...because when they become dreams, they aren't unattainable...they are things to look forward to. You really are amazing...and totally entitled to feelings that aren't happy...

Anonymous said...

I cant imagine being in your shoes.I will pray for you.I know God will make your days better,mabe not easier but better.Time is the only thing that is going to help now,along with prayer and a good attitude.You are young,you may find another guy and have more kids.I hope that you will be blessed with that,however,if not you need to make your world happy again.get friends,get a hobbie,do things with your kid to make his childhood memorable.There is a world out there go live it,Life has dealt you a horrible hand,now go make the best of it.dwelling will not help you and it will start to hurt your kid.Believe me I know how death can devistate you ,been there.but its time to create a happy life.I do not minimize your feelings at all,but mabe its time for a Dr. visit or counseling to help get you thru this yukky mountain your climbing.I feel for you and wish you well.Lincoln already has one parent gone dont let him loose you too,if you get the meesage here.I mean get the help you need so you will be the best mommy ever because to be honest your not right now at no fault of your own.I also am not saying your a bad mommy cause your not.I am saying he only has part of a mommy not a whole one.well I just mean well because this breaks my heart to hear your pain.I want a magic wand to take it away.I think you get the gist of this message and I hope you hear the love behind it.Take care and chin up.
Love Shawny

Anonymous said...

Constantly keeping you in my prayers. God will keep giving you strength. He will help you meet your goals and dreams. Keep your eyes on him and don't let the devil take away what the Lord has given you. You are a strong woman of faith, godliness, and trust. God looks on you with favor.

Rebekah @ reclaimed riches said...

Our pastor has been doing a series on Recovery (go to www.beltway.org if you want to listen to each message). He reminded us today that our pain will NOT be wasted. It's not fun or easy, but it does have a purpose. I thought of you immediately and wanted to encourage you for the future. It is ok to hurt for your loss and one day you will be able to walk someone else through the steps towards healing. Love you,Rebekah

Shelle H. said...

I am praying for you. God has his arms wrapped around you and Lincoln and he knows the plans he has for you. It just kind of stinks that we can't see them right now. Keep sharing it helps, but know there are lots of people praying for you!

Keri said...

You are inspiring! I have been following your story through Jordan M. and have been so blessed with your candor and emotion in your posts. You are so real. Thank you. Don't listen to the negative at all. You are a wonderful mommy! Lincoln has a terrific future in front on him because of you!

Brenda Bailey said...

Stephanie,
I think you are a terrific Mom! You do need time for yourself, because if you don't take care of yourself you will be no good to Lincoln. Don't feel guilty about that. I have been a single mom now for 12 years thru divorce and my kids were 5 & 8yrs old. They are now 17 & 20. It was a struggle, but I found a great support group in the single parents at church. Some are widowed but most are divorced. We are all in similar situations with our children. I have found that we help each other get through our struggles and we even share the good times together. It helps to talk to someone who has gone through or is going through the same things you are experiencing. I find your strength inspiring! I have been going to Grief recovery for my brothers death and it has been so hard. I can't imagine loosing a husband. You keep up the writing. It's good to get it out!
You and Lincoln are always in my prayers.
Your cousin, Brenda

Tyson Aschliman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.