Sunday, March 30, 2008

Over spring break, Lincoln and I did some traveling. As I drove (and he slept), I was blessed with some great "thinking time." It's not often that I have several hours in a row to let my mind wonder as it will. I spent some of that time thinking about where I am these days.

I find myself wishing that I could say that everything is wonderful. Life isn't as hard as it once was. For the most part, we have good days, but there are still times that I find "our story" hard to believe.

I feel that I am rather fickle when it comes to decisions lately. The perfect example is my housing situation. I am currently renting a house, and my lease will be up in June. My plans for what we should do next, go back and forth. One week, I think it would be best if we bought a house. Then another week, I think we should keep renting. There are valid reasons supporting both sides. Believe me, I've thought of them over and over and over and over. I think my "wishy washyness" comes from the fact that I am now solely responsible for making decisions. Though I can always ask for advice, ultimately, it is me that must make the decision. Sometimes I feel very overwhelmed by all of that responsibility.

As Lincoln continues to grow, I've been faced with having to make decisions regarding his discipline. Sometimes I find myself wishing that I had someone to talk through things with. One of my good friends informed me that even if I was married, I would probably hear something like, "I don't know. You're the one with the early-childhood degree." I am very thankful that I have a degree in education. I am thankful that I have 6 years of teaching under my belt. Though being a teacher and a parent are two very different roles, I have learned a great deal from teaching that can be applied to parenting.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Stephanie,
I have been reading your blog for a while. Lurking is more like it. I just wanted to pop on and say hi. I work with Jordon at KU and have come to enjoy reading your posts.

Tamara said...

I just wanted to say I am thinking the exact opposite of the role of teacher/parent. I have been a parent for 9 years and am working on my Elementary Ed degree at MTSU...so I am praying my parenting skills will help me in the classroom as well as the education skills I am learning right now will help me not torture my 9 year old and expect too much out of her! :)

My hubby saw Don the other day and said he looked really good!

Rebekah @ reclaimed riches said...

The besy advice I could give from one parent to another (and I don't have a teaching degree!) would be to Trust in God. I know that sounds so simple, but He has proven himself to be faithful through the years with our little family especially this year with Natalie. No parent knows what to do, but as we pray for wisdom God gives it and anoints our decisions. God does not call the equiped, He calls the obedient. Once we are obedient he equips us. Hang in there. The Lord showed me Psalm 9:10 this week and it has blessed me so maybe it will do the same for you. "Those who know your name will trust you, for you O Lord, have NEVER forsaken those who seek you." Continue to seek him and he will meet your needs and desires. Love you!

Brad said...

Hi Stephanie, this is Regina, Brad's wife. Thank you for letting us all in on the events of yours and Lincoln's lives- he is such a beautiful boy. We both admire your inner strength with everything you and Keith went through and that you have been going through yourself. I hope we can meet someday- from what I hear you are a wonderful person! I also wanted you to know that some family members are doing a relay for the American Cancer Assoc. in CA and Keith's name is one of the names they are walking/running in recognition of.

Jordan said...

Wow, your friend who gave you that advice must be REALLY smart! ;) On a serious note: You've been on my heart this week. I've prayed ferverently for you these last few days...or was it railing against God because I am tired of the ones I love hurting? I forget. Either way, my heart cries out for you. Here are the two "points" our preacher made this last Sunday when he was talking about being overwhelmed with what we are faced with. (They go with what Rebekah was saying.) "Knowing that God is in control is completely different than trusting God to take control." Wow. It's a good thing I don't have to deal with that! (You should stop laughing now and finish reading my comment.) "The story of Jesus reminds us that we don't always know what success or victory looks like." I just like this one because even when we are completely overwhelmed and ready for Him to take control, His picture of our life is not going to match ours because He deals in different currency than we do. You are my faith hero and I love you and I hope you have a really great weekend.