Saturday, June 07, 2008

Well, we finally managed to make it to summer. YEAH!!!! Yesterday, Lincoln and I stayed in our pajamas until around 3. I am looking forward to being able to move at a slower pace. (No, we will not stay in our pj's every day.)

One thing that I love to do in the summer is rent movies. I should have many to look forward to this year because I don't think I have been to the movie theater since Lincoln was very small. I rented National Treasure 2 (I'm not sure that is the actual title.) It was good. I also rented P.S. I Love You. For those of you who know anything about this last movie, you might think I'm completely insane for renting it. It's about a 29 year old woman who loses her husband. Before he died, he wrote her letters, and they are delivered throughout the first year of his death. I had heard from other widows that the movie does a good job of portraying the journey of grief. Since I've always wondered what a grieving widow should look like, I decided to watch and see.

The thing that stood out to me the most was something that the husband wrote in one of the letters. He said he wasn't worried that she would forget about him, he was worried that she would forget the woman that she had become with him.

I will be the first to admit that it would be so much easier to become a bitter, old lady who keeps to herself. It's so much harder to "reenter the world." Lately I've been pretty frustrated with the person I've become. After talking to a friend on the phone yesterday, I realized that my timeline for recovering might be a little unrealistic. She said that someone told here the grief process often takes three years to run its course. My initial comment to that was, "Are you kidding me???" Her response was something like, "Well, you're halfway there." In some crazy way, that gives me hope. : )

2 comments:

Keri said...

I have commented before on your blog and have always been faithful reading your updates. I could go on and go with the ways I think you are strong, a great mom, and just an incredible person by what you have gone through. But I won't get into all that today. I just want you to know that through your posts you portray a person who is doing the whole death/grieving/widow thing with as much grace as can be expected and whatever being a grieving widow looks like I think you have mastered it. I have no personal experiance in this area so I just look at you, and what you have done over the past year, and just stand back and say wow. Wow to your commitment to God. Wow to your commitment to being a good mom. Wow to your commitment to bloom where you are planted.

Jennifer said...

Hello, I agree with everything that Keri said!

I'm not sure how I found this site but you may be interested in it:

http://awidowsmight.blogspot.com/