
Lincoln thought the potty seat was a rocket before we started the training process. He would zoom all over the house with the seat.
A friend recommended the book Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day by Teri Crane. Basically the whole premise of the book is to make the training process fun. She suggests throwing a "potty party." I decided to go with a camping theme.
I set up a tent in the playroom.
This is the entrance into the bathroom.
This would be where we spent the majority of the day on Thursday. (If you're wondering why there is an owl on the wall, I hung up pictures of animals all over the bathroom. We played "I Spy" in the dark with flashlights. He LOVED it!)
Lincoln and "Boy" watching a potty movie in the tent. In the morning, you train the doll to use the restroom, and then in the afternoon, you start working with your child. Lincoln came up with the doll's name. Pretty original. : )
We spent LOTS of time reading that first day too! Thank goodness for the Leap Pad!
At the end of the day, the book tells you to have your child throw away his diapers because he is now a big boy. Lincoln burst into tears and started stashing his diapers behind his back. He did NOT want to throw away his "bipers!!!"
We celebrated all of Lincoln's hard work that first day with a Happy Meal.
That first day was exhausting for both of us! He had a few accidents. Then there were the times when he made it to the potty, but forgot to pull down his underwear. By the end of that first day, I was ready to pull those diapers out of the trash. Luckily, I have a potty training cheerleader. Thanks for all your help Jessica!!!
If I had one bit of advice for moms out there, it would be this: For some crazy reason, I thought I was going to get so much done around the house while we were stuck at home for a few days. I soon realized that was not going to be the case. Once I let go of that, things were much better!
I included this last picture just for fun. Last night, he brought his potty chair into the playroom so he could sit and watch some basketball. I quickly snapped a picture and then informed him that the chair must stay in the bathroom.

Give the boy a remote, and he's good to go!


4 comments:
I'm sure he will catch on quick. I love the picture of him with the diapers behind his back, it kinda made me sad for him. You are such a creative and fun mom!
Seriously, this is why I never chose to do the same project as you in school. When I started potty-training Eli, we just started wearing underwear and spent a lot of time in the bathroom...maybe there's a reason it took him over a year to be completely potty-trained! :) I marvel at your creativity and perserverance because I know you'd rather not be doing it alone, but you do it beautifully and creatively and Lincoln is so very, very blessed to have you as a mom.
When I start to potty-train Phoebe, can I just fly you up here to do it for me? :)
You're awesome and so is Lincoln. I agree with Jordan, you should hire yourself out. Love you and miss you lots.
I do not know your family, but have followed you (the post!) now more than ever. That is hilarious. I have a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old boys. They do things on their time. I tried and tried potty training my oldest and he wanted no part. Then, one day he woke up, took off his diaper, and said "mommy, i no wear these more." And, I am not kidding from that day on it was Spiderman Underware for him! You will get there and once you do it will be a whole new emotional battle for you...he is now a big boy. I commend you for the battle you have fought and the hurdles you have overcome. You are such a strong soul.
Lots of Love to you and Lincoln
Jessica from KC ~
Post a Comment