Tuesday, April 21, 2009

4 hours there + 4 hours back = lots of thinking time

I've been meaning to write a post about the two year mark for quite some time, but I've been avoiding it like the plague. While I wish that I could just wrap the past two years up and tie a neat little bow around it, it's just not that simple. This past weekend, I got together with my college friends. I got to spend some time with my favorite girls, and I also got to spend 8 hours alone in the car.

If I am honest about where I am today, I would say that I'm pretty discouraged. The past three years haven't been real fun. I've tried to do my best to have a good attitude. I've tried to make the best of things. Frankly, I'm worn out. It seems like everytime I manage to jump over a hurdle, another one is waiting. I've gone from having a sick husband, to burrying a husband, to learning to live without my best friend, to being a single parent, to having a really tough class this year. I realize that my challenges all hinge on one thing, which is Keith's death. I guess I just wonder when it's not going to be so hard.


There's a song by Natalie Grant that sums up how I feel these days.

Our Hope Endures

You would think only so much can go wrong

Calamity only strikes once

And you assume this one has suffered her share

Life will be kinder from here

Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years

Sometimes the sky rains night after night

When will it clear?

But our Hope endures the worst of conditions

It's more than our optimism

Let the earth quake

Our Hope is unchanged

How do we comprehend peace within pain?

Or joy at a good man's wake?

Walk a mile with the woman whose body is racked

With illness, oh how can she laugh?

Oh, 'cause sometimes the sun stays hidden for years

Sometimes the sky rains night after night

When will it clear?

But our Hope endures the worst of conditions

It's more than our optimism

Let the earth quake

Our Hope is unchanged

Emmanuel, God is with us

El Shaddai, all sufficient

We never walk alone

And this is our hope

But our Hope endures the worst of conditions

It's more than our optimism

Let the earth quake

Our Hope is unchanged

I realize this isn't the most uplifting post, but it's where I'm at these days. As hard as this is, I still have hope. I was reminded again of that hope at Easter. Regardless of whether or not things get easier here on earth, one day things will be great!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephanie!
So sorry that things are still that bad...and still U try to help others in your situation, so sweet of U!
I pray for better days for U, that God gives U the strength to carry on and do the great job U're doing and that people around U give U enough support and love!!!
I'll keep on reading your blog and see how U're doing.
Big hugs from a portuguese in Sweden, Marisia

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your blog a few months ago and have been reading it since then. I want you to know that I have been praying for you. I can only imagine how hard it was to lose your husband/best friend and especially right after the birth of your son. But God is good and He is there with/for you....I know from your posts that you know that.

btw...I am a retired teacher so I totally understand the "I have a tough class this year" comment. Hang in there.

Barbara Taylor

Our Life said...

I have also stumbled on to your blog and have been reading since. You are an amazing women of God!!!! My brother passed away 3 yrs ago from cancer he was only 48.
Your blog speaks from the heart and really touches my heart. I love your honesty!! I'm keeping you and Lincoln in my prayers.

Sending you Hugs from Ohio!!!

Anonymous said...

The McCord Family-

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your son! God Bless you!

The Mudge Family
(Overland Park, Kansas)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
I think of you and pray for you and Lincoln frequently. God will see you through. I pray for you to have peace.
Brielle and I love looking at all the pictures you post!
Much love,
Shelly

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
My heart aches for you. I know you had fun with the girlfriends this weekend....but then it's back to reality. I think of you often and read your blog regularly. I know God has the plan and you do too. Sometimes....most times it is just so hard to wait for the unveiling of it.....Know that you are loved...by God and by me. Elaine(Maria's mom)

The Mounce family said...

Stephanie! We love you lots! I am praying for you and for some much needed blessings.