Well, I survived the first week of pre-k. Overall, I would call the week a success. I've been busy preparing for another busy week today. I thought I would share some good recipes with you. I made the lentil soup last week, and we're having the lasagna soup this week. Let me know what you think.
Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup
1 lb green lentils, rinsed
7 c chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 lg. onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced thinly
8 oz spinach, chopped
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1 lb Italian sausage
1 tsp Italian seasoning
fresh Parmesan cheese
In large pot, combine lentils, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, about 30 min. In large skillet, heat oil. Add garlic, onion, carrot. Cook over low heat until vegetables are tender. Add vegetables, spinach, tomatoes (with juice) and parsley to beans. Simmer 15 min, stirring often. (Add broth as needed.) Brown sausage and add to soup. Simmer about 20 minutes on low until all vegetables are tender. Take out bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Lasagna Soup
2 tsp olive oil
1 ½ lbs Italian sausage
2 onions, finely chopped ( I used 1)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
6 c chicken broth
2 bay leaves
8 oz fusilli pasta (any small pasta will do)
½ c finely chopped fresh basil
8 oz ricotta (I used cottage cheese)
½ c grated Parmesan
¼ tsp salt
pinch of pepper
2 c shredded mozzarella
In a large pot, heat the oil over med heat. Add the sausage and saute, breaking it up into small pieces, until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat. Add the onions and saute until softened. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and saute for 1 min. Add the tomato paste and saute until the paste turns a rusty brown, about 5 min. Add the tomatoes with their juice, the broth and the bay leaves and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 min. Add the pasta, then increase the heat to med-high and boil the soup until the pasta is tender to the bite, following the time recommendations on the pasta package. Discard the bay leaves, then stir in the basil. If desired, season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, ¼ tsp salt, and the pinch of pepper. To serve, place about 1 ½ Tbsp of ricotta mixture in each bowl, sprinkle with some of the mozzarella, and ladle the soup on top.

4 comments:
Hi,
Glad to see a new post. I remember you saying something a while back that you would be teaching a different class this year. Good luck,
Mary from VA
Glad to hear the year is starting off good :) Hope you have a great year!!!
Susan
Ohio
I always love your recipes. I'm sure they are great! Thanks for sharing.
Good to be back to reading your blog! Lost the link a few weeks ago and finally got it back from Chad Gardner, one of Keith's college friends who is my childhood friend. Glad to see school is going good and Lincoln is growing up so fast!
Post a Comment