Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The endocrinologist determined that I have Graves' disease. My thyroid absorbed 79% of the iodine from the pill they gave me yesterday. There are two treatment options. You can take antithyroid drugs or have your thyroid "killed." The antithyroid drugs are only about 20% effective, and I am allergic to the medicine that they usually give. He suggested that we go ahead and "kill" my thyroid.

I took the pill this afternoon. It was interesting to see how the pill was packaged. First, the nurse opened a metal box that was sealed shut. Then the nurse took out a metal canister. Inside the canister was another container with the pill. She told me to shake the pill into my mouth, so I didn't have to touch it. Pretty serious stuff!

I will be radioactive for three days. There shouldn't be any major side effects. (Unfortunately, I will not experience any super powers.) I'm not supposed to hold Lincoln up by my thyroid for more than twenty minutes at a time. Since mom is here, I am going to try to limit my interaction with him, just to be on the safe side.

While we were waiting for my pill to be delivered, we went to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. I could not have shrimp again today, so we just ordered something different. Mom and I split a piece of pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It was delicious!!

As a side note, Lincoln is doing great with bottles. He hasn't fussed at all with this transition. I guess God knew we needed something to go easy for a change. : )

5 comments:

Holly said...

Bummer about the super powers. You could have been on the show Heroes. Let me know when you paint. I'll come help. I'll bring my own roller! It is fun! I might could talk Kelly & Lindsay into painting too. They love it just as much!

Fredia said...

Stephanie, Lincoln, Sharon and Randy,

We are wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Remember our prayers are with you daily.

Anonymous said...

So glad that there is a fairly "easy" treatment option and that your mom is able to be there to help with Lincoln! He is so precious and getting so big! I remember when I made the switch from nursing to bottle feeding with Nathan in the midst of culture shock, language learning, and so much more. And like Lincoln he did great. I think God knows the moments at which we need to have a sigh of relief. I am thankful you had one :) God bless you!

Anonymous said...

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below
With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars, reflecting on the snow
The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away the tear
For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear
But the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you, the joy their voices bring,
For it is beyond description, to hear the angels sing.
I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart
But I am not so far away, We really aren't apart.
So be happy for me, dear ones, You know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory of my undying love.
After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.
Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do.
For I can't count the blessing or love he has for each of you.
So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear
Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

Fredia said...

cs: What a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us who get to share Stephanie's blog.